The Tailorette

revolutionary war Archive

Tuesday

27

December 2016

0

COMMENTS

Cream 18th Century Polonaise Dress

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects

With the new year coming to an end I wanted to get another 18th century dress on list of finished projects for 2016.  This one is made out of the same pattern as the other dress, but I did make a few minor changes to give it a different look.

Here is where I made a change in the trim.  Because the fabric is upholstery it was too thick to do gathers… so I decided to do pleated trim.

Instead of adding the ties to hold up the skirt, I permanently bunched the back of the skirt.

Finished!

One of my next projects for the new year is perfecting the undergarments for this era.  I still feel like I could perfect the shape a little better.  You may see a post in near months of 2017 on that.  🙂

The Tailorette

 

Wednesday

20

July 2016

7

COMMENTS

Polonaise 18th Century Day Dress

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects, Projects In The Make

Before I dove into my stash of beautiful florals, I decided to make my first gown from this era with a solid linen.  This fabric is %50 cotton and %50 linen which made for an excellent material.  I knew I didn’t want a polyester mix with cotton since I’ve had disappointing results with how the fabric preserves over the years.

DSC_0566

Cutting out the bodice.

DSC_0541

Making a rolled hem for the edge of the ruffles.

DSC_0558

Gathering the ruffles.

DSC_0564

I did press the ruffles after I stitched them on.  Pressing them made it look a little flatter, rather than looking so frilly.

DSC_0578

Bodice back.

DSC_0580

Sewing the casing to the inside of the lining.

DSC_0587

Outside fabric attached to lining, fully boned and ready for trim.

p02l6kdb

I got the trim inspiration from the movie “Poldark”.  After watching this series with my family, I had so much inspiration!

DSC_0592

Pinning the trim to death for a uniform look.

DSC_0596

End result!

DSC_0020

DSC_0081

DSC_0083

DSC_0077

DSC_0076

DSC_0075

Surprisingly, this dress was much easier than I thought it would be.  I hope to make a few more dresses from this era this year.  There are a few design ideas I have in the back of my mind… thanks to Pinterest!

-The Tailorette

Tuesday

12

July 2016

0

COMMENTS

18th Century Stays

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects, Projects In The Make

Within the last couple weeks, I was slowly making my way toward starting on a new era.  I hope to work on many other styles and eras, but for now, the Colonial/Revolutionary War time period is where I plan on spending most of my time this summer.  

To get off on a good start, I wanted to make all the correct under garments to create the right look.  It’s easy to jump to making the dress out of excitement, but if the right undergarments are not underneath, it just doesn’t have that special touch that makes it look authentic.  Thanks to Red Threaded’s 18th century pattern, I was able to accomplish the stays I had in mind.

After saving this fabric for a few years, I finally found a use for it. There was only one yard, so I set it aside for that one project that it would go well with. It’s one of my favorites from my stash and I finally had a use for it!

DSC_0161

Preparing the pattern pieces to make a mock-up.

DSC_0189

DSC_0196

Mock up successful with a few alterations according to my size.

DSC_0035

DSC_0050

Marking where the casing for the boning will be.

DSC_0074

All the corset layers basted together.

DSC_0106

Casing finished and ready for boning!

DSC_0114

An external view of where the boning will be.

DSC_0124

Inserting the boning.

DSC_0130

DSC_0144

I added the bias tape around the edges after I inserted the boning and voila! 

DSC_0483

DSC_0522

DSC_0500

DSC_0494

DSC_0503

DSC_0492

Even though this will go underneath the dress, I still wanted to take the challenge to make it look somewhat appealing.   This is the second corset I have made, and I have to admit, I’m too embarrassed to blog about the first one I made. 😉 

Stay tuned, the dress itself is in the make as well!

-The Tialorette