The Tailorette

custom sewing Archive

Wednesday

20

July 2016

7

COMMENTS

Polonaise 18th Century Day Dress

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects, Projects In The Make

Before I dove into my stash of beautiful florals, I decided to make my first gown from this era with a solid linen.  This fabric is %50 cotton and %50 linen which made for an excellent material.  I knew I didn’t want a polyester mix with cotton since I’ve had disappointing results with how the fabric preserves over the years.

DSC_0566

Cutting out the bodice.

DSC_0541

Making a rolled hem for the edge of the ruffles.

DSC_0558

Gathering the ruffles.

DSC_0564

I did press the ruffles after I stitched them on.  Pressing them made it look a little flatter, rather than looking so frilly.

DSC_0578

Bodice back.

DSC_0580

Sewing the casing to the inside of the lining.

DSC_0587

Outside fabric attached to lining, fully boned and ready for trim.

p02l6kdb

I got the trim inspiration from the movie “Poldark”.  After watching this series with my family, I had so much inspiration!

DSC_0592

Pinning the trim to death for a uniform look.

DSC_0596

End result!

DSC_0020

DSC_0081

DSC_0083

DSC_0077

DSC_0076

DSC_0075

Surprisingly, this dress was much easier than I thought it would be.  I hope to make a few more dresses from this era this year.  There are a few design ideas I have in the back of my mind… thanks to Pinterest!

-The Tailorette

Monday

16

November 2015

2

COMMENTS

Navy Civil War Gown

Written by , Posted in Civil War Era, Finished Projects

Last week I had the opportunity to work on a custom civil war dress for a customer on the west coast.  I’ve noticed that my skills have improved since the last time I made a dress like this one.  What seemed so difficult to me last year was a breeze this time around!

In this photo, I am tracing the pattern and making alterations according to the customers size.DSC_0550

Assembling the basic part of the bodice.

DSC_0579

Fitting the bodice to the customers size.

DSC_0565

Successful custom fit!

DSC_0568

Hand stitching the inside seams to prevent the fabric from fraying.

DSC_0587

Adding the boning to add structure to the bodice.

DSC_0594

The bodice with boning and finished seams on the inside.

DSC_0602

Adding cording to the bodice.

DSC_0612

Unfinished edges all cleaned up.

DSC_0616

For this project, I had to make my own trim to match the bodice.

DSC_0619

Trim and sleeves complete.

DSC_0628

Constructing the skirt.

DSC_0657

Finished!

DSC_0055

DSC_0006

DSC_0029

DSC_0037

DSC_0078

DSC_0022

And I’m off to make another civil war ball gown…

– The Tailorette