The Tailorette

1776 Archive

Wednesday

20

July 2016

7

COMMENTS

Polonaise 18th Century Day Dress

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects, Projects In The Make

Before I dove into my stash of beautiful florals, I decided to make my first gown from this era with a solid linen.  This fabric is %50 cotton and %50 linen which made for an excellent material.  I knew I didn’t want a polyester mix with cotton since I’ve had disappointing results with how the fabric preserves over the years.

DSC_0566

Cutting out the bodice.

DSC_0541

Making a rolled hem for the edge of the ruffles.

DSC_0558

Gathering the ruffles.

DSC_0564

I did press the ruffles after I stitched them on.  Pressing them made it look a little flatter, rather than looking so frilly.

DSC_0578

Bodice back.

DSC_0580

Sewing the casing to the inside of the lining.

DSC_0587

Outside fabric attached to lining, fully boned and ready for trim.

p02l6kdb

I got the trim inspiration from the movie “Poldark”.  After watching this series with my family, I had so much inspiration!

DSC_0592

Pinning the trim to death for a uniform look.

DSC_0596

End result!

DSC_0020

DSC_0081

DSC_0083

DSC_0077

DSC_0076

DSC_0075

Surprisingly, this dress was much easier than I thought it would be.  I hope to make a few more dresses from this era this year.  There are a few design ideas I have in the back of my mind… thanks to Pinterest!

-The Tailorette