Before I dove into my stash of beautiful florals, I decided to make my first gown from this era with a solid linen. This fabric is %50 cotton and %50 linen which made for an excellent material. I knew I didn’t want a polyester mix with cotton since I’ve had disappointing results with how the fabric preserves over the years.
Cutting out the bodice.
Making a rolled hem for the edge of the ruffles.
Gathering the ruffles.
I did press the ruffles after I stitched them on. Pressing them made it look a little flatter, rather than looking so frilly.
Sewing the casing to the inside of the lining.
Outside fabric attached to lining, fully boned and ready for trim.
I got the trim inspiration from the movie “Poldark”. After watching this series with my family, I had so much inspiration!
Pinning the trim to death for a uniform look.
Surprisingly, this dress was much easier than I thought it would be. I hope to make a few more dresses from this era this year. There are a few design ideas I have in the back of my mind… thanks to Pinterest!