Last week I had the opportunity to work on a custom civil war dress for a customer on the west coast. I’ve noticed that my skills have improved since the last time I made a dress like this one. What seemed so difficult to me last year was a breeze this time around!
Assembling the basic part of the bodice.
Fitting the bodice to the customers size.
Successful custom fit!
Hand stitching the inside seams to prevent the fabric from fraying.
Adding the boning to add structure to the bodice.
The bodice with boning and finished seams on the inside.
Adding cording to the bodice.
Unfinished edges all cleaned up.
For this project, I had to make my own trim to match the bodice.
Trim and sleeves complete.
Constructing the skirt.
And I’m off to make another civil war ball gown…
– The Tailorette