The Tailorette

Tuesday

12

July 2016

0

COMMENTS

18th Century Stays

Written by , Posted in 18th Century, Finished Projects, Projects In The Make

Within the last couple weeks, I was slowly making my way toward starting on a new era.  I hope to work on many other styles and eras, but for now, the Colonial/Revolutionary War time period is where I plan on spending most of my time this summer.  

To get off on a good start, I wanted to make all the correct under garments to create the right look.  It’s easy to jump to making the dress out of excitement, but if the right undergarments are not underneath, it just doesn’t have that special touch that makes it look authentic.  Thanks to Red Threaded’s 18th century pattern, I was able to accomplish the stays I had in mind.

After saving this fabric for a few years, I finally found a use for it. There was only one yard, so I set it aside for that one project that it would go well with. It’s one of my favorites from my stash and I finally had a use for it!

DSC_0161

Preparing the pattern pieces to make a mock-up.

DSC_0189

DSC_0196

Mock up successful with a few alterations according to my size.

DSC_0035

DSC_0050

Marking where the casing for the boning will be.

DSC_0074

All the corset layers basted together.

DSC_0106

Casing finished and ready for boning!

DSC_0114

An external view of where the boning will be.

DSC_0124

Inserting the boning.

DSC_0130

DSC_0144

I added the bias tape around the edges after I inserted the boning and voila! 

DSC_0483

DSC_0522

DSC_0500

DSC_0494

DSC_0503

DSC_0492

Even though this will go underneath the dress, I still wanted to take the challenge to make it look somewhat appealing.   This is the second corset I have made, and I have to admit, I’m too embarrassed to blog about the first one I made. 😉 

Stay tuned, the dress itself is in the make as well!

-The Tialorette